Monday, February 22, 2010

Confirmed: Strep Throat

It has been a hellish weekend. I havent really slept at all. I have just been too worried about Sky to sleep. We went to the doctor this morning, and it was confirmed that she has strep throat. At first, I thought it was the same cold that Tasha and I had, but I was wrong. 


Saturday was the scariest day. Saturday, She was running a fever of 102.7, and I could NOT get the fever down at all. I was giving her luke warm baths, alternating Motrin and Tylenol as instructed by the doctor, and basically anything I could think of. Nothing worked. Her fever remained super high. Her fever was so high that she was throwing up. I seriously thought about taking her to the emergency room on several occasions, but I toughed it through, and we saw the doctor this morning. 


Sunday, her fever practically disappeared, but she still complained of a sore throat, so off to the doctor we went. The strep culture came back positive almost immediately. 


I talked to the doctor about how to get her fever down for future reference and learned that I wasnt able to get it down because she now requires an adult dose of Motrin. Children's Motrin is a thing of the past now. My little girl is growing up so fast. I feel bad that she ran such a high fever simply because I wasnt giving her enough medicine, but I was following the instructions on the bottle. I keep thinking that if I had gotten enough medicine in her she may not have been in such pain, and I feel like a horrible mother. At least, now I know. 


After the doctor, we stopped to get her medicine from the pharmacy. Per tradition in our house, Sky always gets a sick toy. She picked up a webkin and a wii points card. We got the old Nintendo games like Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, and Adventure Island. She has been playing those thankful that we have better graphics today, and realizing how old her Momma is. lol


I think she is feeling better after that dose of medicine. Still, she has to stay home from school tomorrow also, but Wednesday she should feel all better again. I hate it when my baby is sick.


Still, even though I hate it when she is sick, and I feel so helpless. I love the mommy/daughter moments of being able to bathe her and wash her hair, and lay with her in my arms watching movies. When she is sick, all she wants is mommy time, and I love being able to give her that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment