Friday, February 12, 2010

Fearless Love?

Melissa Etheridge released a new song recently called 'Fearless Love'. I have to admit. It is really, really good. I think as human we all have a different interpretation of the words "fearless love". What is a fearless love? How do we find a fearless love? When a new song is written, sometimes it seeps like my bloodstream like a bad virus taking over my entire body, telling me when to breathe, when to eat, and when to sleep. Sometimes, the song becomes me until I figure out WHY it is connecting with me. This song connected to me in a big way. It made me think. I havent stopped thinking about it, so I figured Id blog about it.

To me, the song is speaking of what Melissa's idea of a fearless love is. Lots of people think the lyrics are stupid, and they should. They arent in Melissa's life and they have no idea what she means by wanting a fearless love. We have to deduce that she wants HER idea of a fearless love. In turn, this song is affecting ME as any good song does, and what Melissa means doesnt make a difference to me because she wrote the song, loved the song, and found in that song what a fearless love is and the knowledge that she wants it. As far as getting into the head of a musician....thats all the public SHOULD get for a well written song. This way it is left up to the readers or listeners to determine WHAT A FEARLESS LOVE IS FOR THEM!

Let think about one of the most classic songs ever written by the Eagles, "Hotel California". Did anyone know the minute they heard it for the first time that the song was about drug use. It could symbolize a psychological state of being, a domestic abuse relationship, being stuck in your mothers home as a kid and waiting to get out, etc. It could be anything in which one feels TRAPPED, because that is what the song is about.

A point to prove using Melissa, "Come To My Window". She wrote that, "people use this songs at their weddings, and she wanted to ask them if they knew that the song was about longing for another person and being away from them". It was never a love song, but people perceived it otherwise. We all get different things from songs. We all interpret songs and music differently.

Thats the GLORY of song writing. Thank God. Would music really be as interesting if we had to know all there was about what another thinks, feels, believes, and wants? No. They would be boring. Good music is any music that will make you ask yourself questions and that allow you to idea with it.

Who loves "Mary Had A Little Lamb"? I mean really. As children, we loved the fantasy....sure...but all children adore fantasy more than adults. How many adults love that song? How many adults think that song relates to them? Has a sheep ever followed you to school? I live in the South, and still havent had THAT experience. I simply dont identify with the song. Therefore, although I once liked it....I find it annoying as an adult. Now, "Im A Little Teapot" is a different story. lol

My idea of fearless love is a love so intense and strong that its a fairytale come true. Fearless love involves communication that can even hurt because its honest. It has trust that not even a mother can take away. Its coming home at the end of the day and hanging out, playing Wii, having a few beers, or watching your favorite TV show or movie. Its every goodnight kiss that brings sweet dreams. Its the two of you being teammates and cheerleaders to each other. Its also catching you when you fall. its holding each other when one of you is brought to tears. Its picking each other off the ground when the ground was too slick, and you stand back up muddy and gross. Fearless love is when you love the other enough to hold their fallen muddy body against you and still be able to whisper the comforting words, "Its gonna be alright". A fearless love is a love that you share with a person that is beyond meaning. Its unconditional. All your flaws are loved as much as your beauty. A fearless love can be found in friendships, parenthood, and romantic partners.

We are all looking for a fearless love, but the majority of us have no idea what our definition of fearless love is. So, what is your idea of fearless love? Have you found it? Or, are you still searching for it?


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have experienced fearless love yet and I am 51....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was said to me in a conversation I had today, "Everyone has a right to their emotions, no matter how difficult they may be."

    Fearless love is loving someone in spite of themselves, no matter how painful it is, how spiteful, how hateful, how passionate, warped, twisted, judgemental or lustful it gets u still love that person. Love is painful and wonderful and twisted all at the same time. Loving somebody is the fearless part.

    ReplyDelete